Feeling Overwhelmed?

Got anxiety? Stress? Well, I guess we all do at some point in our lives, right? But it doesn't have to be that way! I learned that the hard way.

We've had a lot of good things (and not so good things) going on lately. I realized a few weeks ago that I was having trouble sleeping, I was being irritable (on a daily basis), and that I was just plain not feeling like myself.

When I got to the breaking point (read: tears shed and lashing out too many times), I decided something had to change. For me, for my family, and for my husband or I was going to push us over the edge! Now, I'm not trying to sound dramatic but it did amaze me how anxious I let myself get before I tried to do something about it.

Here is what I did (and I feel tons better already):

1) Prayed about it. Really to the broken point. Letting God know that I need Him and that I realize I need to give up control (which is an area I'm still working on)

2) Talked it over with my husband (that guy is the real deal! He's so supportive! LOVE him!). Let all my fears, anxieties, etc. out. Talked about what I was feeling and why.

3) Decided/Realized that I needed to let some things go in my life...even things that I love or enjoy. That is the tough one. It's easy to let go of things you hate-but things you love are hard to give up.

4) Cancelled certain commitments or responsibilities- I tried to "free up" my calendar as much as I can so I can focus on my family, my health, etc.I'm still looking to see if there is anything else I need to let go of.

Sometimes even the good things in life can be a weight on us. Feeling like you have to be at this place, or at that place, etc. We are not meant to feel in "bondage" over our responsibilities. I know that a lot of us are busy. I sure don't want to sound like I have so many important things going on. Brandon describes it as "emotional energy". I was out of that. I didn't have any more "emotional energy" to give because I was fully depleted and my mind was working overtime.

Here is the Twitter quote Brandon posted yesterday that spoke to me once more on this subject: Stressed about life, family, or job? That is the belief that your circumstances are more important than God's idea rejoice/don't be anxious

I woke up today with almost a completely FREE week and it feels amazing. I can't tell you the difference between this week and the last few.

Is there something you need to stop doing? Something taking up too much of your time? Have you ever felt overwhelmed? What have you done to "lessen" your load? What do you do to de-stress?