America- the land of the free


I live in America. I say I have a heart for so many other countries. I truly desire to Go and see places and meet people from all over the world. I think about what it would be like to live in another country. My picture is glamourized.

Today while in the lobby chat on the Internet campus, I met a man from Kenya. He was talking about the war going on in his country. He is taking refuge in a church and has been there for 2 weeks. He logged in from an internet cafe but had limited connection. He happened upon the Internet campus by accident but was so happy to find us.

As we talked for almost an hour, he began to ask us if we would invite him to America. He really wanted to "see" what it was like. He then began asking if we could help him financially. If I hadn't been talking for him for so long, I think I might have possibly shut him out at this moment. He is surviving right now. I am not going to send money but I did feel helpless. I wasn't quite sure what to do.

When I picture traveling to other lands- I don't picture war, and living in fear. When he pictures America, he sees prosperity and freedom (as well as safety). I am completely ignorant about what a life in poverty would be like. I have compassion but I don't think I would trade places for one second. I really am proud to live here (and thankful). It's not perfect and there are so many things that could change for the better- but overall I'm still proud and thankful.

I have so many thoughts going through my head that could probably provide several more posts but will stop for now.

What about you? Thoughts?