The Okie Accent is largely characterized by a twang which is the pronunciation of a word with elongated vowels and adding of extra syllables to increase the length of the sound of the words which serve to create a drawl. i.e., the word "get" would be stretched out in a complex but subtle pronunciation of "gee-ut-ah", someone unfamiliar with the dialect or not listening closely would hear simply "git". (photo courtesy of Fotosearch)
- Konked- meaning sleeping hard ( I just wrote that to a friend and thought it sounded funny)
- Little smokies-Describing the little weiners wrapped in a crescent roll or biscuit
- Warsh-meaning wash (this one is a pet peeve of mine)
- Walmarts - "I went down to Walmarts and gots me a deal." (another pet peeve)
- Howdy- a friendly gesture
- Ya'll- meaning "you all".
- Fridee- meaning Friday.
- Look-sie- meaning, let me take a look.
- Coke- meaning any kind of soda :) Wanna go get a coke?
- Fixin- getting ready to
I'm proud to be an Oklahoman- this is my home, but it's fun to laugh about our unique culture. Where do you live? What are some unique phrases you hear often?