Spring cleaning (pt 1 of 3)

This week I'm starting a 3 part series on "housecleaning" (it might not be what it sounds like so stay tuned).

Cleaning up our finances:
Well, it's time to do some major tweaking in our finances. We have pretty much always lived on a budget but I confess, I have been lazy in my bookkeeping. We have been putting just about every bill or expense on our credit card and then paying it off at the end of the month. It's been nice getting our "rewards" every month from our Discover card. Brandon is very frugal and is constantly coming up with ways we can save money as well.

After reading this post by one of my favorite bloggers, I have realized that the credit card has been too easy to use. Some months we spend more than we should. Other months we do great and stay well within our budget. Brandon has been talking to me about it for a while, so I'm taking the plunge. In honor of spring, we are going to do some cleaning up in our finances!

Starting this month- we are going back to the cash/envelope system. I'm a little nervous because you have to watch a little more carefully. It's been way too convenient to use our card. I'm excited to see some of the changes we are making and ready to see some money saved because of those changes.

Are you on a tight budget? Any money saving tips? Do you take out cash every month? Do you use credit cards? Do you need to clean up your finances? Tell us what works for you/your family. I'd love to have some insight (and encouragement:)